Sunday, May 9, 2010

Coffee Question Time - Kendall of Whole Foods

We are starting a new series "Coffee Question Time". We hope to ask a few questions of the people that work in or are a part of the coffee industry. So if you see David walking around with a video camera at the market say "Hi" and maybe you'll end up on Coffee Question Time.

First up on CQT is Kendall Hoyt of Whole Foods Market.

Current employer and coffee job description?
I currently work for Whole Foods Market, in Short Pump, and I am the Coffee Buyer for the Specialty Department. Specialty is a department full of all the good stuff; Coffee, cheese, chocolate and beer and wine. I am just starting my career in coffee here at Whole Foods Market, and have been doing it for about a year and half. I love how there is always something new to learn every day, and every day I love it more and more.

Dream coffee job?
Well I really enjoy working for WFM, and would love to continue my career here and move up one day to be a Specialty Team Leader, or maybe even have my own coffee shop and work for myself. But right now I really enjoy what I do, and I’m very passionate about local coffee roasters, and love to introduce people to my favorite local coffees.

When (what age) did you start drinking coffee?
I started to be curious about coffee at a really young age. I’d say I was about 6 or 7 years old when my dad let me take a sip of his coffee. He drank it black, and I ended up spitting it out. But I’d say I was about 18 years old when I started drinking it every morning, and by the time I was about 21 I drank it everyday in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I love it!!

Earliest Coffee memories?
Earliest coffee memories I have are probably about when I first started drinking coffee, but I have some bad memories of TERRIBLE coffee, and I’d like to just forget those.

Favorite coffee drink and why?
My favorite coffee drink, is a nice light roasted coffee with sugar, and cream and dash of cinnamon. But as far as espresso drinks go, my favorite is a 3 shot Americano with the shots brewed on top of the hot water.

Favorite origin or blend of coffee and why?
My favorite origin of coffee is Costa Rican! I love how they are light, mild, sweet and bright, and very aromatic. And here at WFM (Whole Food Market), all of the sales we make from our light roast Costa Rican coffee go to Earth University in Costa Rica, a non-profit university dedicated to educating students in entrepreneurship and sustainable agriculture. So that’s cool.

Thanks Kendall.

No comments:

Post a Comment